Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Rust?! on my strawberries


 I missed going in to my garden yesterday as I am a teacher and had back-to-school duties yesterday up through the evening with Open House night. So, tonight after I got home at around 6:30 p.m. I raced out to the garden to see what needed picking and how everything was doing. I noticed that my small patch of strawberries had what appeared to be rust on them in about 1/4 of the bed!


I squealed with alarm, and without thinking, immediately started yanking the affected plants out of the pot. Therefore, I did not get a picture of the damage as a whole. 


It is hard to tell in the pictures, but there definitely seemed to be a powdery, rusty looking colored fungus that was three-dimensional sticking to the plants.


I should have worn gloves, but in my haste to save my strawberries I didn't think to put them on. Then, afterward I scrubbed with soap and hot water. I hope it doesn't give me any sort of allergic reaction.


Here is a photo of the pot where the plants are with the damaged ones already removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment