Monday, August 10, 2015

Harvest Monday: August 10, 2015


My harvest this week was very small, but small is better than nothing. I have picked enough green beans that my husband and I can have them for a side dish with supper one night this week. I mixed the yard-long beans with the bush beans as there is not enough of either kind to warrant keeping them separate.


I picked four small bell peppers. I'm surprised I get any peppers at all considering how hot it gets here in South Georgia. It's nearly 100 degrees every day. Every. Blessed. Day. At least we are getting rain regularly though. I know many of y'all aren't.


One of the peppers was really interesting looking. I don't even know what to say about that except, hmmm. My husband has been asking for stuffed peppers all summer, but they are pretty small. I am thinking of putting these in an Italian sausage dish with peppers and onions instead.


Three small cubanelle peppers finished out the week's harvest. To see what others are harvesting check out Daphne's Dandelions.

10 comments:

  1. I so couldn't live in GA. I'm such a heat wimp. In the five years I've lived in this house it has hit 100 just once. This year it hasn't been above 95 yet. And even here I wish it were about 5 degrees cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the dog days of summer I think a lot about moving to Virginia. I could experience four seasons instead of 1 1/2. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm like Daphne, a total heat wimp, really an all round weather wimp. You and your garden have my sympathy, 100° every day, yech. I would guess that your weird pepper didn't get properly pollinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I didn't think about it being a pollination issue.

      Delete
  3. I grew bell peppers last year and didn't have much luck - the yield was terrible and they took so long to mature. So this year I'm trying other sweet pepper varieties instead & hoping to get better results.

    And I'll join the weather wimp brigade - I have around 20 degree (F)window of comfort - to much above or below and I'm complaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. I've been here for 26 years and the heat is really hard to deal with. The older I get the less I can stand it. I'm really looking forward to cooler temperatures.

      Delete
  4. You are lucky to be getting peppers with that heat. With those temps here the peppers dropped all their flowers. I grew up in St. Louis, sleeping on second floor of a red brick house with no air conditioner or fan, so I can emotionally deal with the heat but I prefer not to. New England gives me all the variation I want. And I still don't have air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the peppers! Every time I see a new one forming I'm just amazed at how well they have done. I'm hopeful that since we cooled down to the high 80's this week that other veg in my garden might start to thrive.

      Delete
  5. Your peppers looks great even with all that heat. Do you end up growing a lot during the winter months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year will be my first year with a garden during the winter months. I am usually too overwhelmed with the heat to contemplate planting anything this time of year, but I have been preparing since Spring for the Fall garden.

      Delete