Monday, August 31, 2015

Harvest Monday: August 31, 2015


Sweet potatoes! I have sweet potatoes! Almost 7 pounds of them were dug up so far. I don't think that there will be many more, but I will root around in the bed this week before my husband starts preparing the bed for planting.


Lots of the sweet potatoes are fingerling sized, but a few are fairly decent, if somewhat oddly shaped. One in this picture sort of resembles a derriere according to my sister and my husband. They used different vocabulary to describe it, but...HA get it...butt...you get the point. ;) Can you tell I hang around middle school children all day?
The variety is "Beauregard". I will probably try a different variety next year to see if I can get some better results. Now I have to let these cure for awhile to develop their sweetness.


Probably you thought I had run out of beans since I have posted about them for the last several blog posts running. Well, not quite yet! We have had an enormous amount of rain lately, which the yard-long beans seem to truly love. There was a pound of them from this week's picking (including a couple of straggling bush beans).


To see what others are harvesting visit Daphne's Dandelions.

9 comments:

  1. Nice to have sweet potatoes from the garden. That's something I should try sometime, maybe in a container.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe it would be easier to harvest them in a container. They spread out a lot in my garden bed. It was like playing hide-and-seek with them. :)

      Delete
  2. I like fingerling size sweet potatoes, they are easier to cook and use as snack. I'm growing some in growbag this year, waiting for the SP flowers to come in otherwise I won't know when to dig them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you peel the skins from the fingerling sized sweet potatoes?

      Delete
  3. What wonderful sweet potatoes! I don't have a spot for them in my garden, but tried to grow some in a metal bin this year. Considering how small the foliage still is, I double I'll be getting much more than a bunch of roots out of it. But I'll likely try again next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. I hope you are surprised and get a nice harvest of sweet potatoes despite the small foliage.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to harvest my sweet potatoes. It will be another few weeks though. I leave them as long as possible, but eventually it starts getting colder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will probably let them go another month next time I grow them. What variety did you plant?

      Delete
  5. MMMMM. Delicious. I haven't grown potatoes, sweet or otherwise. I usually depend on the farmer's market. Yours look delightful!

    ReplyDelete