Friday, July 24, 2015

Beans Update


Pole beans
I tried planting pole beans on trellises elsewhere in the garden earlier this Spring. The deer ate them, and then the cucumber plants took over the trellis. I underestimated how much room they would need! I decided to make a tee pee trellis to see how that would work out. There are two kinds of pole beans planted around this one: asparagus yard-long and Kentucky wonder.

The plants are climbing the trellis quickly, and started putting out lovely large flowers. I even spotted a couple of tiny beans near one flower. This is my first experience with pole beans (not counting the failed first attempt), so I'm pretty excited about them.
Tiny little beans are emerging


The bush beans have been under netting since the deer mowed down the first planting. There are a few different varieties under there, successively sown: provider, blue bush lake, and golden wax. I had tried an Italian flat green bean variety too, but they were a part of the casualties, and I didn't have any more seeds for them. Two small plants survived and gave me a little nibble, but that was all.
Bush beans 
 The most mature row of the beans are starting to put out beans. I picked a handful yesterday and today. I'm really hoping for a nice crop of beans so that I can store some for winter. As it is, I have enough beans for a couple of servings, so they are on the menu for tonight's dinner.
Starting to produce

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately the slugs took a liking to our beans. They are now desperately trying to recover from the attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do recover for you Sue. I have noticed a few fat slugs over the course of the season, but I got rid of them quick enough. I have been fortunate not to have had a slug problem in the past. I hope my luck holds out!

      Delete