Monday, July 27, 2015

Babies in the Garden

   I sowed some brassica seeds today in the garden: Long Island Brussels sprouts, Calabrese broccoli, early purple broccoli, two colors of Vienna kohlrabi (purple and white), bok choy, savoy perfection cabbage, and golden acre cabbage. I am new to Fall gardening, so we shall see how it goes with planting at this time of the year. I am thinking of doing some successive plantings to see when is the best time to plant in future years. 

Baby Cucumber
   
   There are a few baby plants around the garden already. I have four baby cucumber bush type plants. I am hopeful that I get some fruits from these as the pickle worms wreaked havoc on my Spring planting.

Baby Sugar Pumpkin
   I have three baby Sugar Pumpkin plants sprouted. These are my second attempt. My first planting were attacked by squash vine borers and seemed to be dying off from a disease of some kind.

Baby Peanut
   There is one unexpected baby in the garden bed, a peanut plant. At least I'm 95% sure it is a peanut plant. I had planted peanuts two years ago in this bed. I had some pop up last year, but I was surprised to see this little one growing. I have not decided if I will let it continue to grow or not.
 








No comments:

Post a Comment