Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Fall Garden in full swing

This is the first year that I have ever had a fall garden. I don't know why I have never tried one before, as I live in the deep South, and we have a growing season pretty much year round. 
I planted a mixture of lettuces, mostly to cut and come again. I have one or two that look to be heading up, so that will be a nice change. In the right bed I also have collards and mustard greens visible. I recently planted some kohlrabi seeds, garlic cloves, and New Zealand spinach behind the lettuces. I have a small patch of bunching onions, and a few parsnips as well.

My first cutting of lettuces netted a full gallon sized bag when they were all cleaned up.


In the middle bed I have the brassicas. Bok Choy is just loving my garden. I have several heads of it growing vigorously. I also have some baby cabbage, savoy cabbage, and broccoli plants growing. I keep this bed covered to keep the white moths out. I have smashed some of their eggs laid on the white covering.

I have two different kinds of carrots growing, a yellow and orange variety. I have never been successful growing carrots, but I usually try in the spring, which around here gets really hot really fast.

Here are some of the bok choy that I cut leaves off  to see if they would grow back...they did! In the back ground is a purple (I think) sprouting broccoli plant. I staked it right after this picture. It's a good thing too, because we had some heavy wind and rains for a few days.


Here is a smaller broccoli plant that was staked, and some other random brassicas that are still babies. They look much the same when they are small. Sometimes I can't tell what they are until they get a bit of growth on them.

My gardening wish came true this year!! I've been waiting patiently all year for November to get here so that I could plant asparagus crowns. I ordered 25 two year old Mary Washington crowns...they sent probably 30. Most looked to be in good shape, but a couple were dried out. I planted them all in the hopes that I can have fresh asparagus from my own garden.

To my delight, one week after planting the crowns a third had sprouted up little shoots! After last count yesterday, 18 of the 28 holes had asparagus sprouted up out of them. I've been gradually pulling in a little dirt into the holes as they grow.

I missed harvest Monday this week, but did get some mustard greens and collard greens picked. I cleaned, blanched and froze 2 bags of the mustards and 1 bag of the collards.

The weather is so much nicer to garden in the fall here! It may be my favorite time of the year.

5 comments:

  1. Your fall garden is looking great! I planted asparagus for the first time this year as well, but decided to take the longer route of growing it from seed - now the real test comes...whether they will survive the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. I have some seedling asparagus growing too. I wanted to try both methods to see which ones had the better results over time. I hope yours survive!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you have a great fall garden going there! I think I enjoy gardening in fall more than in the summer, partly because the weather is more tolerable outside. I bet even more of those asparagus are up soon. It's one of my favorite veggies to grow, once you get it established.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking the fall gardening so far. It is nice not to be consumed by bugs, burned by the sun, and suffering from heat exhaustion every time I tend the garden. It's pleasurable. :)
      I'm very excited about the asparagus. I have to contain that excitement though as I know it will take quite a long time before I can harvest it.

      Delete
  3. Your winter garden is looking good. You should be able to harvest collard and mustard greens all winter with a little help from row cover. Wish I could, I have to rely on what I can find in the freezer from last summer.

    ReplyDelete